BOMA San Francisco Members:
The BOMA San Francisco Government and Public Affairs Committee (GAPAC) met recently with Kris Opbroek, Project Manager for the Better Market Street project. Note that multiple San Francisco City Departments are a part of this update to Market Street.
BOMA members would like to be continue to be a partner with the Better Market Street team in helping to identify the best practices to improving Market Street and help find solutions to issues of concern going forward. Special thanks to GAPAC Department/Commission Outreach Subcommittee Chair, Warren Mead for organizing this meeting.
This a long-term project (breaking ground in 2016, at the earliest), and BOMA members discussed near-term concerns for the various department staff to consider as they move forward in the information gathering phase of this effort:
- The homeless population. How can you improve Market Street (adding parklets, nodes and general public gathering spaces) without considering the existing homeless population?
- Impact of future design and construction on the ground-floor businesses that line and/or are immediately adjacent to Market Street.
- Maintenance costs after build out – who pays?
- All forms of conveyance should be considered when improving Market Street. North/south travel across Market should be carefully reviewed.
- Continuous outreach to the business community and other stakeholder groups to be sure that the City understands the issues of concern before final design consideration and construction.
We look forward to working with Kris as this project moves forward. If you have any comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.