The Office of the Controller has issued the Economic Barometer: Quarter 1, 2013. The Economic Barometer gives users the ability to make their own tables and chart with data on San Francisco's economy.
- In April 2013, unemployment rates fell below 6% for the first time since October 2008 to 5.4%.
- Much of the employment growth has been driven by the Construction industry, which grew by nearly 14% in the San Francisco Metro Division.
- The growth in construction employment is supported by an increase new building permits, which started seeing year-to-year growth in the 2nd quarter of 2012.
- Average quarterly number of units in buildings with new permits are up by nearly 50% from last year.
The Controller has created a website that will, going forward, be a repository for this information. The site can be accessed at http://sfbarometer.weebly.com. Updates can also be accessed onTwitter: https://twitter.com/sfcontroller
Recent changes to the Economic Barometer
- The Economic Barometer is now part of the SFOpenBook transparency portal.
- Quarterly residential rent was added to the Real Estate indicators.
- Government performance measures have been added to the Build Your Own visual.