BOMA San Francisco's Codes and Regulations Committee members met with San Francisco Planning Director, John Rahaim, recently. Here are the highlights of his presentation:
- Commercial Space
- There is currently over 4 million square feet of office space under construction, with another 2-3 million square feet in the pipeline.
- Rahaim praised the near completion of the Central SoMa Plan which will accommodate large floor plates for a future 7-8 million square feet of office space, along with 20-30,000 new housing units.
- Office Development Annual Limitation Program or Proposition M limits will most likely be reached this year - especially with the projected office space in the Central SoMa Plan.
- 6,000 units of housing under construction in the city with an additional 45,000 units entitled. The Mayor’s goal of building 30,000 new units while he is Mayor is an achievable one, in his opinion.
- San Francisco is producing 25% of the housing production in the Bay Area presently, but even San Francisco cannot keep up with the demand.
- Planning Department
- Rahaim stated the Planning Department is undergoing a review of its fee structure.
- The projected demise of retail stores due to consumers' online shopping preferences is also something the Department is interested in.
BOMA San Francisco members appreciate Director John Rahaim's time and we look forward to working with him and his staff in the future.