BOMA San Francisco Government Affairs Committee members met with California State Senator Mark Leno (D- San Francisco) recently to thank him for his many years of public service. Here are the highlights of the meeting:
- Our members communicated BOMA’s purpose and VALUE to the City and County of San Francisco and the State of California. We also spoke about the CREATE Workforce Initiative, the BOMA Foundation, and our partnership with San Francisco State University.
- Three measures sponsored by Senator Leno were also discussed:
- SB-1460 Community colleges: funding: San Francisco Community College District (HELD in Senate Appropriations Committee)
- Summary: This bill provides that the San Francisco Community College District (SFCCD) is entitled, for three years beginning in the 2017-18 fiscal year, to restoration of any reduction in apportionment revenue due to decreases in full-time equivalent students (FTES) up to the level of FTES funded in the 2012-13 fiscal year.
- SB-1413 School districts: employee housing. (SIGNED BY THE GOVERNOR BROWN)
- This bill establishes the Teacher Housing Act of 2016 and provides that a school district may establish and implement programs that address the housing needs of teachers and school district employees who face challenges in securing affordable housing.
- SB-1288 Elections: local voting methods. (VETOED BY GOVERNOR BROWN)
- Would have allowed a number of California cities, counties and school districts to switch to the system that asks voters to rank their top candidate preferences like San Francisco.