As California experiences extreme drought conditions, your renewed conservation commitments are needed now. San Francisco businesses can help reduce water use if everyone takes a few simple steps. Develop a water conservation plan for your business using the following tips:
- Determine how and where water is used on site - if you need assistance, the SFPUC provides free Water-Wise Evaluations.
- Educate you tenant's employees about water conservation practices - post signage to educate employees and visitors about water conservation practices.
- Install water-efficient fixtures such as high-efficiency toilets, urinals, and clothes washers - fixtures over 20 years old should be replaced immediately. The SFPUC provides rebates up to $500 per fixture
- Install efficient plumbing devices such as faucet aerators, showerheads, and pre-rinse spray valves - the SFPUC provides these for FREE.
- Avoid using water to clean sidewalks, driveways, and other surfaces – unless required for public health purposes.
- Assess your irrigation system to identify inefficiencies such as leaks or broken sprinkler heads.
- Limit landscape watering to no more than twice per week – adjust irrigation to avoid overspray and runoff.
- Provide water only upon request at restaurants – signage is available from the SFPUC.
- Sign up for My Account - track your site's water consumption through daily meter reads to help measure water savings and quickly identify leaks.
Commercial Rebates and Incentives: